Thursday, July 30, 2020

TONGUE-TIED: A Dumb Preacher


The journey was from Sagamu to Abeokuta in a commercial bus.

I had the nudge, nay the pressing, to preach the Gospel to the passengers. I made a mess of it. No thanks to Mr. Inertia.

I would want to open my mouth, but fear would almost immediately slap it shut.

Fear of what? That the passengers would beat me up or shout me down? That they would not listen to me or give their life to Jesus? That the message may not be interesting or I may get stuck midway not knowing what more to say? That the driver may start the car tape or some passengers may start some annoying conversation to antagonise or distract me? I don't know.

I don’t know what I was afraid of. Simply, it was fear of the unknown. And that was the tool inertia used to hold me dumb when I should be found speaking for my Lord.

It was getting more and more embarrassing. I was feeling more and more guilty. Minutes ticked further and further away. And the bus covered more and more distance.

I needed to act fast. I devised a method.

I sighted one of the roadside palm trees afar off and decided that immediately the bus got to that part of the road I would suddenly open my mouth and speak, damning fear and all its siblings.

Perfect plan. Well laid out.

In no time the bus got there. Quickly, I opened my mouth. Alas, no voice came out. Fear was faster, it had caught up with me again.

No problem, I would be faster this time around.

I picked another palm tree target. Now better prepared to open my mouth immediately we touched the finish line of my target.

We breasted the tape as expected, I more quickly opened my mouth! Yes, the voice was coming, from the inside! Hallelujah! It would soon come out:

‘I'

That was all I could say, nay, utter, and my mouth immediately stopped and shuttered its intention.

This fear was a good sprinter. It had outrun and overrun me again.

I tried again and again but it never got better than that. I watched with a heavy heart as passengers disembarked at Abeokuta deprived of the message I had been sent to deliver to them.

Blood, pints of blood on my neck! Lord, have mercy.

(Culled from This Christian Race by Abiodun J. Soretire)

4 comments:

  1. May God have mercy, that is the experience of many Christian.
    I was in a commercial bus one day and the Spirit of God asked me to preach to the passengers but something was telling what if either the passengers or the driver attack me.
    After some minutes internal struggling ,the Holy Spirit took control and I started preaching, not knowing there was a drug seller who wanted to advertise his products.
    Some minutes into my message, the drug seller interrupted and asked me to round up my message because he wants to advertise his market.
    As I was trying to appeal him that I will soon round up, the passengers unanimously shouted at the man that he shouldn't disturb me.
    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whao! Halleluyah! God helped you overcome the fear and fought for you through the passenger. I can imagine the renewed confidence you would have to continue the message. Thank you for stopping by to read our post sir/ma

      Delete
  2. Hmmm! To be frank this is happening to many Christian including myself, several time when I enter motor either from my state to another state or within the state I will just felt it within me to open my mouth and preach or leader prayer before proceeding on the journey, but unfortunately fear of unknown arises at times, there was a particular I 2as traveling to my state capital, after entering the vehicle the spirit said pray before the motor move but was still struggling with it, before drive him self say someone should pray for us before proceeding, i took a deep breath, before opening my mouth I realized that a sister had already started the prayer. That day I was disturbed in my spirit that what type of Christian am i, but I asked for forgiveness from God. So next time entered a car, the spirit still came to me, but this time around I open my mouth to lead in prayer.

    I realized that each time God is dropping this into our minds as a Christian he want us to carried it out... Jesus said whoever ever deny me on Earth will I deny before my father when he come, there are blessings and safety attached to that, but devil will always come to hinder someone from receiving that.
    All this is a sign that we need to work on ourselves as a Christian, many Christian would know something but to do it become a challenge. My questions is that why is it that.

    I pray the voice of I knew you not will not be raised against us in the day of glory in Jesus name, the holy spirit of God shall quicken our mortar body into immortal and help out spirit in Jesus name. Amen.
    God bless body of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen ma. This matter is a serious challenge in the heart of many Christians. I remember one time I was directed to preach to a mental problem in our neighborhood. O first dragged foot but thank God I eventually took the step and he gave his life. It was not too long that he died. I was shocked, at the same time thanking God I did not miss it. We really need to pray to God to help us conquer the spirit of fear and fill us with the spirit of power (courage and boldness), love and sound mind. Thank you sir/ma for stopping by to read from our blogsite.

      Delete